Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Deceptively Delicious

Wow!! I am truly passionate about this cookbook by Jerry Seinfields wife. My mom bought it for me last week and I have made just about everything. Not really, but it feels like it!! I have a VERY picky son. For about a year and a half all he ate was oatmal. No fun! We had to put Carnation instant breakfast in his milk to bump up his calories. He was always in the 2 percentile, but his energy level was over the charts!!! No worries, just lots of frustration. He finally outgrew 18-24 mth clothing when he turned 3! Lately Noah has had some major poopy problems so I needed to be creative and get some veggies into his belly...

Basically the idea of this cookbook is to sneak ANYTHING healthy into the kids meals without them knowing. Last Sunday, I had a puree party. I pureed cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potatoes, carrots, spinach, etc. Monday was the big test. I made pancakes with sweet potatoes and Noah LOVED them. Then I made chicken nuggets (dipped in pureed spinach and covered with flaxseed and breadcrumbs) and again he inhaled them. I was shocked and thrilled!!! My boy is eating healthy and he doesn't even know it:) I couldn't help but to chuckle as I was watching him eat. And Michael has also loved my applesauce/carrot muffins and tried the chicken last night and was impressed.

Lauren on the other hand eats anything and everything I feed her. At least I have one good eater. I am really making it a point to get healthy foods in the kids meals everyday. The benefits outway the extra work. This is a way for all of us to eat the same thing and be getting the nutrients we need on a daily basis. It's a win win situation!!!

Happy Eating!!

2 comments:

Janice said...

I saw her make her recipes out of this book on Oprah about 6 months ago and was amazed how the kids they tried them out on loved the disguised vegetables. Glad Noah is finally eating better too! Happy Birthday little guy! He is growing up so fast and looks more like a boy now than a toddler.

amy luella said...

way to go, amanda...that sounds awesome...i have heard good things about that cookbook...when my husband heard about it, he said, "don't try that with me"...he is terrible=)...it is great to hear that noah is enjoying it...as for clothing size, hanna is wearing size 4 mostly!